RI W-4 certificate#
RI W-4 certificate #
- Paper: Letter (8.5in x 11in)
- Give a blank form to a new employee or to employees who have changes in their tax situation.
- The employee fills up this form and returns it to the employer.
- Employers must keep a copy for their records.
- This form must be available to the Division of Taxation upon request.
- You may file a new form any time your withholding allowances increases.
- Residents may claim exemption from Rhode Island withholding if:
- They had a right to refund all Rhode Island income tax withheld because they had no tax liability during the previous year.
- The employee expects a refund of all Rhode Island income tax because they had no tax liability for the current year.
- The employee is eligible for military spouse exemption if they meet the following conditions:
- the employee is present in Rhode Island solely to be with their servicemember spouse in compliance with military orders.
- the employee and their spouse both maintain the same domicile in another state.
For newly hired employees to report their withholding exemption to their employer. It is also for employees who have recently changed their tax status which will affect their withholding exemptions.