NJ NJ-W4 certificate W-4#
NJ NJ-W4 certificate W-4 #
- Paper: Letter (8.5in x 11in)
- Copies to print: 2
- Give a blank form to a new employee or to employees who have changes in their tax situation.
- The employee fills up this form and returns it to the employer.
- Employers must keep a copy for their records.
- This form is required when an employee wants to revise the withholding information.
- Exemption is good for one year only. You must submit a form each year certifying you have no New Jersey Gross Income Tax liability and claim exemption from withholding.
- Employees may claim exemption from state withholding tax, if they meet one of the following conditions:
- Their filing status is "Single" or "Married but Filing Separate" and their wages plus taxable nonwage income will be $10,000 or less for the current year.
- Their filing status is "Married Filing Joint" and their wages combined with their spouse's wages plus taxable nonwage income will be $20,000 or less for the current year.
- Their filing status is "Head of Household" or "Widowed" and their wages plus taxable nonwage income will be $20,000 or less for the current year.
For newly hired employees to report their withholding exemption to their employer. It is also for employees who have recently changed their tax status which will affect their withholding exemptions.
New Jersey Department of Treasury, Division of Taxation
General Tax Information: (609) 826-4400
Customer Service: (609) 292-6400
Toll-free: (800) 323-4400