MT MSR exemption certificate#
MT MSR exemption certificate #
- Paper: Letter (8.5in x 11in)
- Copies to print: 2
- Give a blank form to a new employee or to employees who have changes in their tax situation.
- The employee fills up this form and returns it to the employer.
- Employers must keep a copy for their records.
- The exemption certificate lasts no longer than one year. To continue the exemption, employees must submit this form to the employer on or before January 31 of each year.
- To qualify for the exemption the following must be true for the employee:
- The servicemember and spouse must have the same non-Montana residence.
- The servicemember must be serving in Montana in compliance with military orders.
- The nonmilitary spouse of the servicemember must have moved to Montana solely to be with the servicemember.
- The employee must notify the employer immediately if they longer qualify for the exemption.
- Some reasons eligibility for exemption will terminate include:
- The nonmilitary spouse chooses to become a Montana resident.
- The servicemember is no longer in Montana.
- Employees claiming Military Spouse exemption must submit the following documents:
- The servicemember's latest Leave and Earnings Statement.
- The employee's Military Spouse ID Card.
To be used by nonresident military spouses to file exemption from state withholding tax.