- Paper: Letter (8.5in x 11in)
- Copies to print: 2
- Give a blank form to a new employee or to employees who have changes in their tax situation.
- The employee fills up this form and returns it to the employer.
- Employer to keep a copy for their record.
- If the employee claims 10 or more personal exemptions, send the original MI-W4 certificate to:
MICHIGAN NEW HIRE
PO BOX 85010
LANSING MI 48908-5010
- Employees must give this withholding exemption certificate to the employer on or before starting day.
- If the number of your claimed allowances decreases, you must file a new form within 10 days after the change.
- The employer is required to notify the Michigan Department of Treasury if an employee has claimed 10 or more personal and dependent exemptions or claimed a status which exempts from withholding.
For newly hired employees to report their withholding exemption to their employer. It is also for employees who have recently changed their tax status which will affect their withholding exemptions.