- Paper: Letter (8.5in x 11in)
- Copies to print: 2
- Give a blank form to a new employee or to employees who have changes in their tax situation.
- The employee fills up this form and returns it to the employer.
- Employers must keep a copy for their records.
- If the allowable Massachusetts withholding exemptions are the same as you are claiming for US Income Taxes, complete Federal W-4 only.
- You may file a new form any time your withholding allowances increases.
- If the number of an employee's claimed allowances decreases, they must file a new form within 10 days after the change.
- You are not allowed to claim "federal withholding deductions and adjustments" under the Massachusetts withholding system.
- For newly hired employees to report their withholding exemption to their employer. It is also for employees who have recently changed their tax status which will affect their withholding exemptions.
- Massachusetts Dept. of Revenue
- (617) 887-6367
- (800) 392-6089