- Paper: Letter (8.5in x 11in)
Copies to print: 6
- Newly hired employees must complete and sign section 1, no later than the first day of employment.
- The employee must also present acceptable documents evidencing identity and employment authorization to the employer.
- The employer examines the employment eligibility and identity document(s) that the employee presents to determine whether the document(s) are genuine.
- The employer then fills in section 2 relating to the documents provided by the employee.
- Section 1 should not be completed before the employee accepted a job offer.
- The list of acceptable documents can be found on the last page of the form.
- Do not send completed form to USCIS or Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
- Form I-9 must be retained and stored by the employer either for three years after the date of hire or for one year after employment is terminated, whichever is later.
To verify an employee's identity and to establish that the worker is eligible to accept employment in the United States.